My husband LOVES granola bars. If I buy a box of them they rarely last more than a day. I've been trying to cut out processed foods so I decided to make a homemade version of his favorite snack. These are super simple to make and are even better than the original.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter or almond butter (I like to use chunky)
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. In a bowl combine the oats, rice cereal and shredded coconut. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan combine the butter, brown sugar, honey and peanut butter. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and then turn heat down to low and simmer until sugar dissolves (about 2 minutes.) Remove pan from heat.
3. Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture, stirring until everything is evenly coated.
4. Transfer the granola mixture to an ungreased 9x13 pan and press firmly into pan. Press the chocolate chips on top of granola.
5. Refrigerate for 20 minutes and then cut into bars. Store bars in a ziploc bag in the fridge.