Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

I have a big sweet tooth. I LOVE dessert. Cakes, pies, cookies, brownies. You name it, I love it. Combine my love of dessert with being pregnant and you get intense "I NEED IT NOW!" cravings for something sweet. Last week I really wanted a cupcake but it was Monday. The two "good" bakeries near my house are both closed on Mondays so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make cupcakes. These cupcakes were moist and the addition of the homemade chocolate frosting made them rich and decadent. I was a very happy pregnant woman! 



Yellow Cupcakes

Ingredients

2 cups cake flour (I didn't have cake flour so I subbed AP flour and they still came out great)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer cream butter and sugar on high speed until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Now alternate adding dry ingredients and milk in three batches, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix one final time. Fill paper lined muffin tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until cake is done but not brown. Cool before frosting. 

Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

In a large bowl beat butter and cocoa together until combined. Add milk and vanilla, beat until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until desired consistency is reached. Adjust with more milk or confectioners sugar if necessary. Frost cupcakes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment